*A BIG thank you to Maty’s for partnering with us to take care of our stuffy noses and so many other things with their amazing vapor rub!
Stuffy noses, coughs, chest congestion. Yep, it’s vapor rub season again. Most of us have several trusty jars parked strategically throughout the house, ready to treat those small but irritating ailments at a moment’s notice. After all, what’s worse than losing an entire night’s sleep because of a blocked nostril, chest congestion or a pesky cough that just won’t quit? Seriously, thank God for vapor rub.
Everyone knows the obvious benefits of vapor rub — it’s an amazing decongestant for inflamed lungs and noses that bring so much misery during a cold. We also use a smidge in the top oil compartment of our vaporizers. In fact, when we’re in the throws of cold and flu season, you’ll find our windows dripping with warm-mist humidified air filled with the soothing scent of our favorite vapor rub.
Due to our love of the stuff, we usually end up with a handful of half-used jars, so that got us thinking: What else can we use vapor rub for??
10 Unique Ways to Use Vapor Rub
- Soothe Muscle Aches – use in place of massage oil for an extra relaxing experience. Also an effective remedy for strains, sprains and tennis elbow.
- Repel Insects – bugs hate the scent of eucalyptus, pine and peppermint, so rub a little of our favorite natural vapor rub on your skin in a few places to help keep them away.
- Relieve Headaches – massage a dab into each temple to help alleviate that headache.
- Treat Fungal Infections – athlete’s foot and nail fungus can be treated with vapor rub thanks to the antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties of peppermint, eucalyptus, pine and spruce essential oils.
- Suppress Coughs by Foot – if that tell tale vapor rub scent isn’t your thing, try rubbing it on the soles of your feet for the same cough-suppressing effect.
- Moisturize Hands and Feet – spread a good layer on your heels, feet and hands, wear cotton socks and gloves to bed, and wake up with super moisturized skin.
- Soothe and Heal Burns, Bites, Stings and Bruises – apply asap after a minor skin injury for a healing effect that rivals antibiotic ointment.
- Treat Eczema – apply generously to eczema spots for moisturizing itch relief.
- Soothe Airway While Using a CPAP Machine – Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is a treatment for obstructive sleep apnea. The CPAP machine supplies a constant and steady air pressure that forces the airway to stay open, and it can cause some seriously dry mucous membranes. To address this issue, apply vapor rub on the upper lip before bed to help prevent dry airways.
- Keep Pets Off Furniture – leave a jar open by your no-go furniture to help train your furbabies to stay off.
TSL Recommended Vapor Rub
Our top choice for store-bought vapor rub is Maty’s All Natural Vapor Rub. It’s a simple recipe with no questionable ingredients, it really works, and it’s safe for everyone 2 and up. It’ll relieve cough and congestion while strengthening your immune system.
Free of petroleum, fragrances, parabens, phthalates and other harmful chemicals, we highly recommend it. In fact, Maty’s has a ton of products we frequently recommend, and you can find them at MatysHealthyProducts.com, and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. We also have a few local drugstores around here that carry Maty’s which is super convenient when we need to get the goods FAST.
Want to try Maty’s? Enter for a chance to win a healing kit by entering here!
And if you’re feeling crafty, go ahead and whip up a batch of our easy DIY vapor chest rub recipe for colds and congestion.