I've tried quite a few different types of grain-free pizza crusts made with all sorts of things including cauliflower, almond flour and yogurt, but this is my very favorite so far.
I love the coconut ingredients because they're packed with goodness, but they don't really add a noticeable coconut flavor (that's a good thing in my book because we use a lot of coconut and too much of that taste can get tiring). This is a GAPS-friendly food, it can be made dairy-free and it stands up well to pizza toppings. And what's more, it's easy to make and freezes beautifully. YES!
Grain-free Pizza Crust Recipe
Ingredients (Makes 1 personal size pizza crust)
- 3 egg yolks (preferably from pastured hens)
- 1/2 tsp salt (I use Real Salt, pink Himalayan salt, or sea salt)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or whole milk (preferably organic)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together until lumps are mostly gone. At this point, you should let the batter sit for a couple minutes until it becomes a bit thicker.
- Using parchment paper on a baking sheet, spread your batter with a spatula into the shape and thickness you like. I try to make mine a thin circle.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes on the middle rack until golden brown on the bottom.
- Let cool for a few minutes after baking, and remove the crust from the parchment paper.
- Top as usual and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the toppings are warm.
What's your favorite healthy pizza crust?