I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm just like everybody else in America: once Autumn arrives, I go straight into crazy pumpkin mode! The only problem is that gluten sensitivity makes it nearly impossible for me to walk out and grab pumpkin bread on a whim, so I decided to take my favorite gluten-free English muffin recipe and give it a quick makeover.
I'm proud (and slightly stunned) to be able to say that even my husband loves my pretty little grain-free pumpkin mug cake, and he's no fan of gluten-free cooking…
5 Minute Grain-free Pumpkin Mug Cake Recipe (Makes 2 Cakes)
This recipe is so easy that you'll never have to squelch that pumpkin bread craving again! It's super healthy with lots of fiber, satiating coconut oil and tummy settling spices. And if you're not dairy-free, be sure to smother it with nutrient-dense grassfed butter too!
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (this one is BPA-free, certified organic and non-GMO)
1 egg, beaten (pastured is always best)
1 Tbsp milk (non-dairy alternatives work well too)
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp maple syrup (or more to taste, I don't like it too sweet)
1 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla (I found McCormick's new organic vanilla at Walmart!)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Gather two 4″ baking ramekins (like these). Melt the coconut oil in one and swirl to coat the sides. Then pour the coconut oil into the second ramekin and swirl to coat again before dump the excess coconut oil into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten egg, pumpkin puree, milk, maple syrup and vanilla to the coconut oil in the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the almond flour, salt, baking powder and spices together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Scoop half of the mixture into each of the two ramekins.
- Microwave one ramekin at a time for 2 minutes, 15 seconds.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before taking it out of the ramekin. The pumpkin bread can be eaten as is or sliced in half to toast.
NOTE: Prefer not to use a microwave? No problem! Just pop the ramekins into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*This recipe was adapted from one of our favorite low-carb cooking moguls, Sugar Free Mom 💕