We’ve discussed the woes of PVC a lot over the last two years, but how does it affect our food as a plastic wrap? In order to be soft and stretchy, PVC requires a plasticizer – many of which are toxic to humans. The Mindful Momma explains why we should be concerned:
These PVC-based cling wraps contain a liquid plasticizer called DEHA (Di-ethylhexyl). While the FDA considers it safe for food use, numerous studies have confirmed that DEHA can leach out of plastic wrap and into food. Since DEHA is a possible human carcinogen that affects the liver in particular, it might be a good idea to avoid it. Foods like cheese and deli meats are of the most concern because they are capable of absorbing higher quantities of DEHA. Also, vinyl chloride, the main building block of PVC, is a known human carcinogen. Apparently, there’s a lot of controversy about whether plastic wrap is really harmful or not, but my feeling is – stay on the safe side – especially when kids are involved.
How to Choose PVC-free Deli Packaging
Avoiding PVC food wrap isn’t easy. The best way to start is to ask your butcher to prepare the cuts of meat you want and wrap it in paper. Most butcher or freezer paper is coated with wax or polyethylene which are better alternatives. As for blocks of cheese, look for packages with Ziploc style closures, and plastic packages that have been heat-sealed, because most of these bags are made from polyethylene.
Of course the best way to locate PVC-free food is to purchase fresh ingredients from farmer’s markets or through Community Supported Agriculture programs.
Eco-friendly Paper Wrap
- Green Wacks Earth Friendly Food Wrap
- EcoCraft Natural Freezer Paper
- EcoCraft Soy Wax Deli Paper
- Beyond Gourmet Unbleached Parchment Paper
P.S. Be sure to check out our all-time favorite reusable wrap too! The Abeego Beeswax Wraps come in many different sizes and meet most of our food storage needs.
Latest posts by Alicia (see all)
- Safer Baby Bath Tubs and Seats - March 4, 2015
- New Crisco Certified Organic Coconut Oil Makes Waves in the Real Food Community - February 23, 2015
- How Do You Remove Fragrance Chemicals and Bad Odors in Used Electronics? - February 11, 2015
- How and Why to Avoid Toxic PVC (Vinyl) Plastic in Every Day Products - February 3, 2015
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher - January 19, 2015
Check it Out
Natural Living Tips
- How and Why to Avoid Toxic PVC (Vinyl) Plastic in Every Day Products
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher
- Is BPS the New Mystery Chemical in BPA-free Cans, Dishes and Kitchen Appliances?
- Have You Heard of UV Light Systems for Purifying Water?
- 10,500 Reasons to Choose Your Personal Care Products Carefully