Yes, food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is completely safe for all types of animals.
And I can vouch for that. We’ve been using it on our dogs regularly for the last couple of years for flea and tick control with great success and no adverse effects.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a fine, talc-like powder made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. Their skeletons are made of a natural substance called silica. Over a long period of time, diatoms accumulated in the sediment of rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans.
Earth Easy explains how it works:
These diatom particles are very small and sharp – but only harmful to the small exoskeletons of insects. Insects cannot become immune to its action, as it is a mechanical killer – not a chemical one. Because it is like a light dust, it easily clings to the bodies of insects as they walk and crawl over it. The tiny diatom particles then cut the waxy coating of insects and they eventually dry out and die of dehydration within 48 hours. It is an all-natural product that is so safe, it can be sprinkled around your vegetable patch, or rubbed right into your dog’s fur.
In fact, many naturally-focused breeders I’ve spoken to add it to their animal’s food each day to kill parasites. They also love the fact that it has 15 trace minerals, which helps fortify their diets.
What Bugs Does it Kill?
Diatomaceous Earth has proven to be effective against various household and garden pests including: Ants, Bedbugs, Silverfish, Flour Beetles, Fleas, Cockroaches, Slugs, Earwigs, Centipedes, Millipedes, Sowbugs, Pillbugs, Carpet Beetles, Spiders, Crickets, Colorado Potato Beetles and Caterpillars.
Be Sure to Choose Food Grade DE
Food grade DE has to meet certain specific requirements for heavy metals like lead and arsenic, while pool filtration grade DE is treated with chemicals and very high heat so it’s dangerous for people and pets, so be sure you avoid it.
And even with food grade DE, t’s always a good idea to use commonsense when applying so that you don’t inhale a large amount. The National Pesticide Information Center says if breathed in, diatomaceous earth can irritate the nose and nasal passages temporarily, but doesn’t cause any longterm damage.
Where to Find It
We ordered our first bag online and bought another bag today at a local farm supply store. I thought it was interesting that they commented about how quickly they’re selling out of it these days. Folks are finally catching on to this simple, cheap alternative to toxic pesticides!
Latest posts by Alicia (see all)
- Safer Baby Bath Tubs and Seats - March 4, 2015
- New Crisco Certified Organic Coconut Oil Makes Waves in the Real Food Community - February 23, 2015
- How Do You Remove Fragrance Chemicals and Bad Odors in Used Electronics? - February 11, 2015
- How and Why to Avoid Toxic PVC (Vinyl) Plastic in Every Day Products - February 3, 2015
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher - January 19, 2015