My expertise is in the area of toxic chemicals in plastics, but lately I’ve been immersed in the surprising underworld of chemicals in brands I’ve always believed to be safe. This new experience is an amazing side benefit to joining forces with The Smart Mama and Green and Clean Mom to form 3 Green Angels.
We’ve been working with Melinda of Earth Mama Angel Baby to educate concerned parents on Twitter about what these chemicals are and why they shouldn’t be in your children’s bubble bath. My eyes are now wide open and I’m watching those labels like crazy. And sometimes I feel like I’m going to go crazy with information overload – which makes me SO thankful for upstanding companies and non-profit organizations like EWG who are taking the lead and lightening my burden.
Here are a couple of must-read tidbits on that list of chemicals I mentioned, along with some resources to help you get it all straight:
- Earth Mama Angel Baby is the only company to receive all zero’s in testing done by EWG; they also provide up-to-date information on changes in the status of toxic chemicals in personal care products as they did here.
- The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Cosmetics Database is an indispensable resource for finding out exactly which chemicals are lurking in the products you thought were safe.
- The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics explains why seemingly innocent ingredients like PEG-100 stearate can turn into a carcinogen like 1,4 dioxane in your baby’s shampoo; you can follow the founder, Stacy Malkan, on Twitter @safecosmetics for an amazing amount of new info and even to get your questions answered.
- SafeMama is all over safe product cheat sheets, detailed product analysis and easy to understand info regarding chemicals in personal care products; also check out Lovely Safe Mama for even more info on products for moms
- The Smart Mama constantly updates us with the latest detailed background info on toxic chemicals
- Be sure to read through the rehash of our latest #EcoWed Twitter party with Earth Mama Angel Baby experts here to bring it all home
- Take action today and make a statement with Organic Consumer Association’s “Buycott Certified Organic Products and Boycott the Cheaters”
Check it Out
Favorite Safe Products
- No Nonsense Cleaning Ability with Non-toxic ebody Microfiber Spa Collection
- How to Choose PVC-free Pools, Floaties, Toys and Life Jackets
- Do Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oils Cause Endocrine Disruption?
- How Does Goddess Garden Organics Compare to Other Safe Sunscreens?
- My Homemade Deodorant is Cooler Than Frost Bite on a Snow Angel