I had the chance to give the Naturepedic organic baby mattress a serious run for the money. My 1 year old has been using it for the last six months and I can't speak more highly of a mattress! It is hands-down an excellent choice, not only in safety but in performance and quality.
Is Organic Really Necessary?
The heated debate surrounding the topic of organic mattresses rages on. But in whittling it down, I had to consider that my child spends an average of 12 hours a day laying in his bed. It only makes sense then, that working to eliminate potentially toxic chemicals in son's mattress should be a first step in creating a healthier environment for him.
Concerns with Traditional Mattresses
You know how much we detest vinyl (PVC) with its myriad toxic components here at The Soft Landing. So once I learned that traditional baby mattresses were covered in PVC, I knew right away that something had to change. And that's not the only concern: the inside of regular mattresses typically contain polyurethane foam (and thus many volatile organic compounds) which is treated with PBDEs to add flame resistance.
My Experience with Naturepedic
- Waterproof cover rocks: it's made from food grade polyethylene so it's easy to clean, impossible to permanently soil
- Tough cover serves as a bug barrier
- Fits my old crib perfectly, very snug: no gaps between rails and mattress, keeps pacifiers from getting lost beside mattress
- No need for mattress cover, cuts down on laundry
- Not bulky
- No textures surface: smooth covering is more comfortable for baby
- Hypoallergenic: no latex, wool or high allergy materials
- Has firmer side: it feels firm but comfortable (CPSC recommends infants sleep on a firm, flat surface)
- Naturepedic is certified by GreenGuard and recommended by Healthy Child Healthy World. Both carry a lot of weight for me.
- Most importantly, I sleep easy at night knowing my baby isn’t inhaling or soaking up toxic chemicals while he sleeps!
Naturepedic’s List of Missing Ingredients
NO Brominated or Chlorinated Fire Retardants
NO PAN (polyacrylonitrile)
NO Dimethyl Sulfate
NO Boric Acid
NO Respirable Crystaline Silica
NO Potentially Harmful Chemicals or Allergenic Materials (i.e. Wool)
I sure feel great about recommending their mattresses based on chemical safety and high quality manufacturing. They also offer other organic bedding items such as portacrib mattresses, mattress covers, and changing pads.
NOTE: Naturepedic provided this mattress for my review at no cost.