I used to think that non-VOC paint was the safest paint I could buy. But just because a paint doesn’t off-gas volatile organic compounds, doesn’t mean that it’s actually non-toxic.
I was disappointed to find out that the regulations governing air pollutants and off-gassing don’t always address issues of the other toxic chemicals commonly used in paint like heavy metals and carcinogens. And would you believe that ammonia and acetone are not even considered VOCs by the EPA?
Not to mention that low odor paints may actually contain a masking agent to cover its odor. It’s the same concept as botanical ingredient based “fragrance free” laundry detergent containing a masking agent to cover up the not always pleasant smell of the combined ingredients. Come on people, give me a break already!
Non-toxic, Not Just Low-VOC
Lullaby Paints has gone the extra mile to ensure safe alternative ingredients to the long list of toxic offenders typically found in traditional paints: terpenes, formaldehyde, acrolein, phthalates, glycol, toluene, methylene chloride, styrene, trichloroethylene, xylenes, and benzene (and that’s just for starters!).
Only Good Things to Report
I always share my honest opinion when reviewing products I’ve received from the company to test. I tried to come up with at least one con to balance things out, but I honestly couldn’t see any downsides. Livvie used the chalkboard paint to do one entire wall of her room and it went on without a single hitch. We’re sold!
- Packaged in flexible containers with a pour top, making it SO much easier to work with than a typical paint can and much more eco-friendly too
- Wonderfully thick and covered the bright turquoise in my daughter’s room with a single coat
- Absolutely NO smell
- Easy to clean up drips and brushes/rollers when she was finished painting
- Dried nicely and was ready to write on by the next day
Needless to say, my creative girl is super happy with her new room. Livvie and her friends spend hours drawing on her wall and using it for a game board. And she’s thoroughly impressed that she can use just regular old chalk and then erase it with no trouble at all.
Disclaimer: Lullaby Paints sent us free products to try. Opinions are our own.
Check it Out
Favorite Safe Products
- How to Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Food Containers and Kitchen Appliances
- In Search of PVC-free Non-Slip Bath Mats
- Abeego Beeswax Wraps Make Plastic-free Food Storage Totally Possible
- How Brownies for Breakfast Can Help You Raise a Healthier Teen
- Do Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oils Cause Endocrine Disruption?