I came across this crazy advertisement today while reading through the growing list of chemicals implicated in hormone disrutpion on OurStolenFuture.org. The ad was part of a series run widely in the 1990’s recommending that people think of plastic as “your sixth basic food group.” It’s amazing to think about what the chemical industry spends to convince people of the safety of their products – whether load with bisphenol-a or not!
The ad copy is a little hard to read, so here’s the full text:
Plastics: An Important Part Of Your Healthy Diet
“You could think of them as the sixth basic food group.”
Oh, you certainly wouldn’t eat them, but plastic packaging does help protect our food in many ways. To help lock in freshness, plastic wrap clings tightly to surfaces. To help lock out moisture, resealable containers provide a strong seal. And plastic wrap helps extend the shelf life of perishable produce, poultry, fish and meats. To prevent spoilage and contamination, some varieties of plastics help keep air out. While others let air in to help the food we eat stay fresher longer. Plastics also let you see what you’re buying, taking the mystery out of shopping. All of which makes them versatile, durable, lightweight and shatter-resistant. To learn more, call the American Plastics Council (APC) at 1.800.777.9500 for a free booklet. Plastics. One part of your diet you may never break.
Latest posts by Alicia (see all)
- New Crisco Certified Organic Coconut Oil Makes Waves in the Real Food Community - February 23, 2015
- How Do You Remove Fragrance Chemicals and Bad Odors in Used Electronics? - February 11, 2015
- How and Why to Avoid Toxic PVC (Vinyl) Plastic in Every Day Products - February 3, 2015
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher - January 19, 2015
- Is BPS the New Mystery Chemical in BPA-free Cans, Dishes and Kitchen Appliances? - January 14, 2015