My friends kept trying to tell me how easy homemade cashew milk was but I just didn't listen! Now my naturopath has asked me remove dairy to see if it helps with my Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so I had to try it for myself.
How did I like it, you ask? I've never loved a dairy-free milk as much as I do this one! It's rich, creamy, raw, and full of nutrients.
Health Benefits of Cashews
Cashews are actually seeds of the tropical tree called Anacardium occidentale that produces the bitter-tasting cashew apple. They're the perfect little powerhouses of nutrition, packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like vitamins E, K, and B6, along with minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and selenium. Cashews are also known to support healthy brain functioning, improve digestion and nutrient absorption, and may even improve heart health. Wow!
How to Make Cashew Milk in a Blender
I've been experimenting with various methods and flavorings, but this recipe right here is the easiest and by far the tastiest! And I have to tell you that Terrasoul's organic mylk cashews really ramp up the overall taste and texture for me.
- 1 cup raw, organic cashews
- 4 cups filtered water (see why + how you should filter your tap water)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 drops stevia (we use our homemade stevia glycerite)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla, optional
- Toss cashews in a glass container, cover with filtered water, and add a little sea salt. Soak 2-3 hours out on the countertop or overnight in the fridge.
- Drain and rinse well, then toss them into a blender or food processor with 1 cup of the filtered water and blend until very smooth
- Strain using a nut milk bag if you like (I don't even bother straining because it ends up being creamier!)
- Add the other 3 cups of water, salt, stevia, vanilla and mix well.
- Store in a glass milk jug (this one is the perfect size) with a snug-fitting lid in the fridge and use within 5 days or so (it does spoil kind of fast – the only possible downside of homemade cashew milk!).
What's your favorite non-dairy milk to make at home?