In honor of Earth Day, we’re focusing on America’s overuse of disposable bottled water in the name of convenience and supposed better health. As Food and Water Watch points out, bottled water is not safer than tap water. It creates mountains of garbage and causes other major environmental problems – not to mention that it’s thousands of times more expensive than filtered tap water!
Make a Difference with 3 Simple Changes
- Reduce your bottled water use to rare times when it’s absolutely necessary. Production, transportation, and disposal of bottled water consumes large quantities of water and energy.
- Invest in a water filter. You’ll save yourself a nice chunk of money in the long run and protect your family from herbicides, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, by-products from the chlorination process, residue from waste particles, bacteria and micro-organisms, phthalates and heavy metals.
- Plan ahead for trips away from home and always bring a reusable water bottle along. It’s not as difficult as it may seem at first. And if you go with an insulated stainless steel bottle, you’ll enjoy having ice in your drink a full 12 hours after you leave the house!
Here are our favorite glass and stainless steel water bottles. Did we miss any?
Important Notes About BPA-free Plastic
P.S. Because of the latest research showing some endocrine disrupting chemicals in BPA-free plastics, we recommend you avoid products with newer #7 plastics that are clear, hard and shiny.
P.P.S. The plastics used in the water bottles we recommended above are either polyethylene (#4) or polypropylene (#5) which have never required the addition of BPA or BPS and have a good track record for non-leaching stability so far.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Our articles may contain affiliate links and/or may be sponsored. Any purchase you make through our affiliate links helps to support our website, our research, and the free content we provide.
Latest posts by Alicia (see all)
- Safer Baby Bath Tubs and Seats - March 4, 2015
- New Crisco Certified Organic Coconut Oil Makes Waves in the Real Food Community - February 23, 2015
- How Do You Remove Fragrance Chemicals and Bad Odors in Used Electronics? - February 11, 2015
- How and Why to Avoid Toxic PVC (Vinyl) Plastic in Every Day Products - February 3, 2015
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher - January 19, 2015