In honor of Earth Day, we’re focusing on America’s overuse of disposable bottled water in the name of convenience and supposed better health. As Food and Water Watch points out, bottled water is not safer than tap water. It creates mountains of garbage and causes other major environmental problems – not to mention that it’s thousands of times more expensive than filtered tap water!
Make a Difference with 3 Simple Changes
- Reduce your bottled water use to rare times when it’s absolutely necessary. Production, transportation, and disposal of bottled water consumes large quantities of water and energy.
- Invest in a water filter. You’ll save yourself a nice chunk of money in the long run and protect your family from herbicides, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, by-products from the chlorination process, residue from waste particles, bacteria and micro-organisms, phthalates and heavy metals.
- Plan ahead for trips away from home and always bring a reusable water bottle along. It’s not as difficult as it may seem at first. And if you go with an insulated stainless steel bottle, you’ll enjoy having ice in your drink a full 12 hours after you leave the house!
Here are our favorite glass and stainless steel water bottles. Did we miss any?
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: Our articles may contain affiliate links and/or may be sponsored. Any purchase you make through our affiliate links helps to support our website, our research, and the free content we provide.
Latest posts by Alicia (see all)
- What is Silicone and is it Toxic? - October 29, 2014
- 10,500 Reasons to Choose Your Personal Care Products Carefully - August 1, 2014
- Blueberry Kombucha Probiotic Popsicles - July 3, 2014
- 5 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Silverfish - July 1, 2014
- How to Avoid Toxic Chemicals in Food Containers and Kitchen Appliances - June 25, 2014