We all love pretty nails, but there are loads of crazy toxic chemicals in nail polishes. We dug our way through this subject to explain what’s really in your lacquer, and found quite a few acceptable alternatives to beautify your fingers and toes without the chemical load.
Hazardous Chemicals in Nail Polish
- Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon VOC (volatile organic compound) known to cause reproductive harm and central nervous system problems.
- Formaldehyde (and formaldehyde resin) is a known carcinogenic material. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have formally classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen.
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) is a toxic chemical known to cause reproductive system harm, especially in males. Both fertility and reproductive system development are adversely affected in parents and following generations.
- Camphor becomes dangerous when it’s ingested or inhaled continuously (and should never be used as a decongestant). It can cause seizures, nausea, vomiting, agitation and stomachaches.
- Xylene is a possible carcinogen that produces vapor that can depress the central nervous system and cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.
- Ethyl tosylamide is a plasticizer and mixture of isomers of toluene and ethanesulfonamide that’s barred from personal care products in Europe.
- Parabens have been shown to mimic the activity of the hormone estrogen and are associated with the formation of breast cancer after having been found in breast tumors.
- Lead is a well-known and proven neurotoxin that’s been linked to learning, language and behavioral problems, reduced fertility and hormone disruption.
How to Choose Safer Nail Polish
We found many nail polishes that contain fewer toxic ingredients can be separated into four different categories: 3, 5, 7, and 9-free. Each digit represents the number of toxic chemicals not present in the product.
We recommend choosing a 9-free nail polish since that’s your best chance of avoiding dangerous chemicals, but eliminating even a few toxins from your daily life is a worthy goal.
3-Free Nail Polishes
These polishes contain no formaldehyde, toluene or DBP:
5-Free Nail Polishes
This list consists of polishes that are free of formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP and camphor:
- Bliss Genius
- Deborah Lippmann
- Dr.’s REMEDY
- Ginger + Liz
- Habit Cosmetics
- Jenna Hipp
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics
- Piggy Paint (water-based)
- Priti NYC
- Spa Rituals
- Suncoat (water-based)
- VOID Beauty
7-Free Nail Polishes
These products are free of formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP, camphor, ethyl tosylamide, and xylene:
9-Free+ the Safest Nail Polishes
The following is our list of recommended nail polish brands. They’re free of at least 9 commonly found polish chemicals including formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP, parabens, camphor, lead, ethyl tosylamide and xylene:
- 100% Pure
- Acquarella (water-based)
- Hopscotch Kids (water-based)
- Honeybee Gardens (water-based)
- Kid Licks (edible, water-based, contains no harsh chemicals)
- Scotch Naturals (water-based)
What’s your favorite brand of non-toxic nail polish?